Ingredients of Chicken and Waffles (Pennsylvania Dutch style)
- You need 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 4 lb of chicken (whole or bone in pieces).
- Prepare 1 of salt and pepper and poultry seasoning.
- You need 32 oz of box of low sodium chicken broth.
- You need 48 oz of box low sodium chicken broth.
- Prepare 2 medium of carrots (washed and halved).
- Prepare 2 of bay leaves (I used dried).
- It’s 2 of stalks celery (cleaned and halved).
- Prepare 2 medium of onions (peeled and halved).
- Prepare 12 tbsp of flour.
- Prepare 1 cup of cold water.
- It’s 1 of Frozen Homestyle Waffles (or homemade).
Chicken and Waffles (Pennsylvania Dutch style) step by step
- Preheat your stock pot and heat the olive oil..
- Season all sides of chicken with salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning..
- Put chicken in pot and brown both sides..
- Add broth, bay leaves, celery, onion, and carrots to the pot..
- Simmer until chicken is well cooked and falling off the bone..
- Remove chicken from the pot and place in a large bowl. Let cool slightly until cool enough to handle..
- Remove skin and discard. Pull meat from the bones and tear into bite size pieces putting in a separate bowl..
- Remove bay leaves and vegetables from pot and discard. Let cool slightly and skim fat. (You can refrigerate and then the fat is very easy to skim.).
- In a small bowl add cold water and flour and whisk well until there are no lumps..
- Heat stock to a low boil, and add the flour/water mixture a little at a time stirring quickly after each addition..
- Check for seasoning before returning the chicken pieces to the pot..
- Toast waffles (or make waffles from scratch if you have the time!;).
- Serve chicken and gravy over the waffles, and ENJOY! We serve with mashed potatoes too. And whatever veggies you like on the side..
Get Latest Recipe : HOME