While this helps with flavor and structure, there are other, healthier ways to make them instead!
This recipe cuts out the refined oil by using the natural oils in corn and allowing the sweetness of corn to replace much of the added sugar!
These Cornbread Muffins are made with creamed corn so they truly taste of corn and are more moist than traditional Southern cornbread.
Ingredients of Cornbread (Muffins or Bread)
- Prepare 1 cup of cornmeal.
- It’s 1 cup of all purpose flour.
- It’s 1 tsp. of baking powder.
- You need 1/2 tsp. of baking soda.
- You need 1/8 tsp. of salt.
- You need 1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter, melted then cooled slightly.
- It’s 1/3 cup of light brown sugar.
- Prepare 2 tbsp. of honey.
- Prepare 1 of large egg, room temperature.
- You need 1 cup of buttermilk, room temperature.
- You need of For Muffin Variation Add:.
- Prepare 2 tbsp. of vegetable oil.
- Prepare of Optional Add In’s…Add up to 1 cup (total) of the following :.
- It’s of ·Corn Kernels.
- You need of ·Diced Jalapenos.
- It’s of ·Shredded Cheddar Cheese.
- It’s of ·Blueberries.
- You need of ·Dried Cranberries and Walnuts.
Cornbread (Muffins or Bread) instructions
- Whisk together in a medium bowl the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside..
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the butter, brown sugar and honey until all combined and no lumps of sugar remains. Then whisk in the egg until just combined. Then whisk in the buttermilk..
- If making muffins rather than the bread, whisk in the vegetable oil to the wet mix along with the honey and sugar***.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk until just combined. Careful not to overmix. In using an add-in ingredient, fold them in now..
- For Muffins: Spoon batter into greased muffin tins (either normal sized or mini), filling all the way to the top. Cooking times and temperatures for muffins listed in Step 6 and Step 7. For bread, skip to Step 8..
- For Normal Sized Muffins: Bake for 5 minutes at 425°F, then while keeping the muffins in the oven, lower the temperature to 350°F. Continue baking for another 15-17 minutes. Use a toothpick to test if centers are cooked through..
- For Mini Muffins: Bake for 350°F for 8-10 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean (mini muffins pictured)..
- For Bread: Grease and lightly flour a 9 inch square baking pan. Pour batter in and bake for 20 minutes at 400°F, until golden brown on top and a toothpick comes out of the center clean. Allow to cool for at least 10-15 minutes before slicing..
- Store leftovers at room temperature for up to 1 week..
I also subsituted canned for frozen corn with great results.
The recipe takes exactly one regular sized can of corn.
To make the muffin moist and fluffy, cream the brown butter, sugar, and eggs until fluffy and almost pale.
Though it’s a common and inexpensive ingredient, cornmeal can take many forms — bread, muffins, puddings, spoon breads, and more.
Whether it’s salty or sweet, crumbly or creamy, cornbread can be a perfect accompaniment to all types of meals.
Get Latest Recipe : HOME
source : https://www.cookpad.com